I’m forever trying to “up” the value of our breakfasts, and while I tend to crave a savory, meaty meal first thing, sometimes we create a sweet treat. There’s something that makes the morning feel special about having chocolate first thing. And when we have lots of guests, it’s fun sometimes to spoil “just our crew” with dessert for breakfast. This dark chocolate cherry protein smoothie feels a little bit like dessert on the palate, but it’s filling with the addition of the protein powder of your choice.
There is a lot of debate in the “clean eating” camp about “cheat days.” I think if our “splurges” can make us feel like we are having a treat, while nourishing our bodies, all the better…
- 1 cup almond milk or milk of choice
- 1/2 cup frozen pitted cherries
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder or vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cacao nibs, divided
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 scoop protein powder of choice
- Combine ingredients in order listed in a high speed blender, reserving a sprinkling of cacao nibs for garnish.
- Blend smoothie just until combined.
- Top with reserved cacao nibs and enjoy.
This is the protein powder I am liking – we also used it in the protein packs we made for our son, who is currently hiking the Appalachian Trail.
Do you have a power-breakfast that helps you get moving in the morning?
Like what you're reading?
Get Sal et Lux updates and resources in your inbox and get my "3 Tips for Meaningful Hospitality" as my gift to you!