Lunch is such an easy meal to welcome guests. Having a mama-friend and her kiddo over to play, or a neighbor, is easy when there’s a no-fuss meal option. I love salads for easy, light, healthy meals, but when we created this sandwich idea, I felt like a kid again myself… with all my grown-up food sensibilities and the fun little-kid side of me all playing together happily.
With many families starting school again, this gluten-free grilled sandwich could easily be made in advance and packed to go to school with some fresh crunchy vegetables on the side. Eaten at room temperature, it’s still just as yummy. But I can also see this little treat being a perfect afternoon snack, celebrating the end of a fun day of learning.
This “A-B-C” gluten-free grilled sandwich is a much more sophisticated version of the childhood favorite, if I may say so, but literally, sweet and simple.
- 4 slices gluten-free bread of your choosing
- 2 tablespoons softened, salted butter
- almond butter, to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate semisweet chips
- Preheat an iron skillet or non-stick skillet to medium heat.
- Spread almond butter onto one side of each slice of bread.
- Layer sliced berries onto almond butter.
- Top with chocolate chips.
- Place top slice of bread onto sandwich and spread with butter.
- Place sandwich, buttered-side-down, into skillet.
- Cook until it just starts to brown and chips begin to melt.
- While cooking spread butter onto top of sandwich.
- Flip and cook remaining side just until golden brown.
- Cut in half and serve.
- Perfect with fresh, crunchy raw vegetables and a glass of milk.
Slathering your favorite bread (we use gluten-free store-bought or my favorite grain-free sourdough) with almond butter, berries, and chocolate is decadent enough. But grilling it to buttery golden, melt-y happiness? You’re going to spoil yourself, or your guests, be they big kids or little ones, silly. Make this, and tell me if you were as happy as I was with the outcome!
Like what you're reading?
Get Sal et Lux updates and resources in your inbox and get my "3 Tips for Meaningful Hospitality" as my gift to you!